- Our Work
- Access to Services
- Aging & Disabilities
- Children and Youth
- Coordinated Community Response
- Economic Justice
- Health Care
- Homicide Prevention & Reporting
- National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
- Outreach to Underserved Communities
- Public Policy
- Rural & Tribal
- Technology Safety
- Teen Dating Violence
- Wisconsin Batterers Treatment Providers Association
Bilingual Legal Assistant/Paralegal
Employer:End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin/RISE Law Center
SUMMARY: RISE Law Center of End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin is seeking a Bilingual Legal Assistant to support the activities of a busy non-profit law office that serves primarily underrepresented populations, particularly immigrant and refugee survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault. Using a trauma informed approach, the bilingual legal assistant will perform a broad range of duties including clerical, reception and administrative, as well as assisting attorneys in client meetings and drafting legal paperwork. The Bilingual Legal Assistant will work directly with survivors, attorneys, law students, interns, community organizations, and domestic violence and sexual assault agencies.
- Answer multi-line telephone, take messages including voicemail, perform brief screening for legal issues, answer inquiries and make referrals when appropriate
- Greet clients and guests and assist with and/or conduct client interviews and meetings
- Manage attorneys’ calendars, coordinate and schedule meetings
- Draft legal documents for review by attorneys, and correspondence to courts, clients, attorneys and other legal agencies and legal documents
- Distribute incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail daily
- Translate documents, forms, correspondence from English to Spanish and Spanish to English
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic files, including copying and scanning
- Manage assigned projects and research legal issues
- Maintain a clean, safe and neat workplace including general office organization
- Highly organized and able to prioritize and multi-task with excellent time management
- Must be reliable, professional and maintain confidentiality
- Self-motivated, strong initiative and a quick learner
- Ability to research and analyze complex issues and sensitive areas of law efficiently
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to edit documents carefully
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written and ability to convey basic messages to people with limited English proficiency
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
An ideal candidate will thrive ensuring that the office runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible. This person should have strong organizational and time management skills, the ability to relate to clients of all backgrounds and empathize with client’s unique and sensitive situations. The strongest candidate for this position would be someone who has a positive attitude, enjoys being busy and productive, and is committed to social justice work.
- Must be able to speak English and Spanish fluently in person and over the phone
- Must read and write English and Spanish fluently, and translate English to Spanish and Spanish to English accurately
- Proficiency in typing, data entry, and general computer skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Legal and/or secretarial experience a plus
- Prior experience working with victims of domestic abuse and/or sexual assault is preferred
- Prior experience working with immigrant and refugee populations is also preferred
Application Due Date: For early consideration, please apply by February 24, 2014. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting the week of March 10, 2014 until the position is filled.
This is a non-exempt, full-time (40 hours/wk), position based in Madison, Wisconsin.
End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer offering an extensive compensation package including salary, paid time off (3 weeks vacation, sick time, personal time, and holidays), short and long term disability, life insurance, 401k with company match, and flexible benefit (currently 10K for 40 hr/week employees) to be applied toward health, dental, vision, 401k and/or salary.
If you wish to apply for this position, please submit a complete application package, including:
- The END ABUSE application form (attached below);
- A current resume;
- A cover letter;
- A one-page essay describing your understanding of domestic violence. This one-page essay must be written in both English and Spanish (one should be a direct translation of the other);
- Information about how to contact you for an interview;
To be considered for this position, you must include all of the above listed information.
Please send your complete application to: End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin/HIRING COMMITTEE - 1245 E Washington Ave, Suite 150, Madison, WI 53703
OR Email to: email@example.com
OR Fax to: 608.255.3560
End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, empowerment and social justice.
You may fill out the employment application on your computer before printing, if you wish.
Deadline for applications:February 24, 2014