Please forward widely!
As early as today, the Senate will vote on a funding bill that covers the full function of the federal government for fiscal year 2013. Senator Harkin (D-IA) has introduced an amendment to the funding bill that will increase funding for domestic violence shelters and programs and the National Domestic Violence Hotline by $6.6 million. Call your Senators today and urge them to “VOTE YES on the Harkin Amendment.”
1) Call the Capitol switchboard at 888.269.5702 and ask the operator to connect you to your Senators. If you don’t know who your Senators are, you can look them up here .
2) When you’re connected to their offices, tell the person who answers the phone:
- I am a constituent from (city and state) and my name is _________.
- I urge Senator____ to vote YES on Senator Harkin’s amendment to the fiscal year 2013 funding bill on the Senate floor. It includes a much needed increase to domestic violence shelter funding that is distributed to every state and community, through the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (FVPSA) and funding for the National Domestic Violence Hotline. (If you have time, include information about the need for shelter funding in your state.)
- Thank you and I look forward to hearing that the Senator has voted for the Amendment.